First blog post on the site for a while!
Used up a pack of slightly stale wholemeal rolls tonight in a savoury bread and butter pudding, flavoured with sundried tomatoes, basil, pine nuts and parmesan. Really nice on its own with some salad for a simple veggie meal. Here are a few images of the steps, and the recipe instructions!
4 wholemeal rolls, sliced and buttered then cut in half
1/2 jar sundried tomatoes
1 tbsp capers
2 tbsp pine nuts
1/2 bunch fresh basil (15g)
300ml double cream
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 180C fan. Grease a baking dish then line up the buttered roll halves into the dish.
- Make the custard by bringing the milk and cream to the boil in a medium saucepan. Set to one side to cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl with the mustard and paprika, then mix into the milk and cream. Season then grate in most of the parmesan.
- Put the sundried tomatoes, basil leaves, capers and pine nuts in between the bread roll slices.
- Pour over the custard until all of the bread is fully covered. Push down slightly then leave it to soak for 15 minutes.
- Scatter over the breadcrumbs, parsley and rest of the parmesan. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for about 20 minutes until set and golden on top.
- Leave for about 10 minutes before serving with a fresh green salad.