Brought these beauties in for my colleagues today – Feta, Spinach & Pine Nut Parcels. Recipe below 👇🏻
4 sheets filo pastry
2 tbsp butter, melted
75g feta, crumbled
150g baby spinach
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 red chilli, de-seeded & finely chopped
25g parmesan, grated
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp fresh parsley
25g toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease a large baking tray with butter.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion, garlic and chilli until really soft.
- Add the paprika, oregano and cinnamon and cook out for a couple of minutes, then add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Strain over a sieve to get rid of any excess moisture. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the lemon zest with the pine nuts, parsley, parmesan and feta. Tip in the spinach and onion mixture and combine everything thoroughly.
- One at a time, take a sheet of filo pastry and cut into two long strips. Keep the rest of the filo covered to avoid it drying out.
- Brush each with melted butter. Put 1 tbsp of filling at one end then fold over to form a neat parcel, tucking in the edges. Brush with more butter to seal everything in.
- Repeat with all of the filo until you have used all of the filling. Place the parcels on the baking tray and cook in the oven for around 20 minutes until golden and crisp. They will be a little soft due to the moist filling but will firm up once cooled. Cut each parcel in half to serve. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.